Friday, July 10, 2009

Salem Oregon Daily Photo – Jill’s Passing

I’m writing this mostly for the people that have counted on the Salem Oregon Daily Photo blog for great pictures of Salem and the surrounding area.

Before we even left Mexico I found Jill’s Salem Daily Photo blog. Soon enough I was emailing Jill and asking all about Salem. We found we had something in common – husbands with grave medical issues. Mike’s arachnoid cyst and Dean’s newly discovered cancer. Jill had also worked for the State of Oregon and she encouraged me to apply for government jobs and gave me ideas for getting my foot in the door.

Jill invited me to visit her 2nd blog, Our Fervent Prayers where she was documenting Dean’s fight with cancer. Most posts were difficult to read and digest. Jill wrote from her heart. Dean passed away on June 9th after 34 years of marriage to Jill. Mike and I went to the memorial for Dean at the end of June.

Among other family and friends, Jill and Dean’s son spoke and it was very moving. We intended to introduce ourselves to Jill at the memorial, but it just didn’t seem the right time.

We continued to email each other and I had recently invited Jill out to breakfast with Mike and me. I was concerned that I didn’t hear right back from her. Today I received an email telling me that Jill herself passed away on July 7. I am shocked. I don’t know any details. I feel so bad that we never got to hug each other. I am concerned for their son. I am experiencing so much emotion this evening.

Jill and Dean, rest in peace.

5 comments:

GlorV1 said...

I'm so sorry for your loss of two friends. I feel your sadness. I'm sending you good wishes and
hugs to you.I'll say a prayer for your two friends tonight. Take care.

Mike Nickell and Cynthia Johnson said...

Gloria - that means a lot. Thank you.

Ron and Betty said...

It is a good lesson for us to know that little things we do for people with the intention of helping can mean so much and without even knowing it - so much appreciation and love. Your friend Jill was very special. So sorry for your loss. We love you.

Linda Lou and Senor, Too said...

Cynthia, I am so sad to hear that you lost your friend, Jill. I am sure both she and her husband, Dean, were wonderful people.

Mike Nickell and Cynthia Johnson said...

R&B - We love you too!
LL and ST - Thank you.